29 Balmville Rd,
Newburgh, New York 12550-1913
Golf was first played at the Powelton Club in 1892 on a five-hole course and is now so recognized by having the honor to be placed
on The National Register of Historic Places.
Course Architects have ranged from club members in 1892, to Devereux Emmet in 1923 who was retained to revise the original
nine and to layout nine new holes. Major alterations were needed in 1985, brought about by the expansion of Interstate 84. The most
significant change worked by architects Cornish & Silvia was a new 17th hole, ending the Club's use of its heirloom, the double tee
that served the 16th and 17th holes.
The Powelton Club golf course is presently 6,063 yards in length with a rating of 70.0 and having a slope of 129.0. Although not long,
Powelton places a premium on accuracy. The short par fours offer strategic options that invite birdies, but often penalize with bogies
or worse. The greens are a mixed bag, with some at ground level and flanked by flat bunkers, others elevated and fiercely guarded by
large, deep hazards.
Interested in memberships at this golf course? Click here.
Host your next golf outing at The Powelton Club of Newburgh.