17911 Hamilton Rd,
Detroit, Michigan 48203-1797
The Detroit Golf Club has the distinction of having both courses designed by Donald Ross. Ross, the son of a stone mason in Dornoch, Scotland, immigrated to the United States in 1899. By 1912 he was considered by many to be the best-known and most-prolific golf course designer. In 1925 he employed over 3,000 men in the construction of his courses.
At the Detroit Golf Club, Ross, with the able assistance of Ernie Way, the Club's original greens superintendent, created two subtly different masterpieces that today still bear his original influence and trademark design.
Donald Ross, architect of both the North and South DGC courses, was the most-prolific, best-known and most-highly regarded golf course designer of the first half of the century. From the hindsight of history, he seems to have been born to the role.