2610 Cherokee Ave,
Columbus, Georgia 31906-1051
A fondness for golf shared by a number of local citizens has been credited as the probable impetus for the origination of the Country Club of Columbus. Organized in 1909, incorporation for the Country Club of Columbus was granted on August 2. L. G. Bowers, the Club's first president, along with Marshall Morton, it's secretary, signed an agreement to lease 60.8 acres of land known as "Slick Hill" off Cherokee Avenue for a ten-year period with an option to buy at the end of the lease. Construction plans began immediately and a brown stained, wood-framed structure known as the "log cabin" clubhouse became the first home of the Country Club of Columbus in 1910.